Rapidly growing, fiscally sound and privately-owned essential oil manufacturer is seeking to add an experienced Lab Director to start-up and build-out of an in-house analytical and micro laboratory, creating standard operating procedures, maintaining lab books, performing required testing, analyzing and reporting test results, and managing and training new micro and analytical laboratory support staff. This individual must be independent, detail oriented and an excellent communicator as they work closely with internal customers to translate test results into actionable information.
- Develop and validate HPLC/UHPLC and GC methods for products
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain lab equipment, including, but not limited to, analytical balances, pH meters, HPLC/UPLC, UV-VIS spectrophotometers, FT-IR/NIR spectrophotometers, GC, viscometers, pyncnometers, density meters, refractometers, polarimaters, etc.; daily duties may include running instruments and sample testing
- Write, review, and edit SOPs, STMs, reports, and equipment qualifications; maintain an approved manual containing all policies and procedures and ensure it is available to all personnel responsible for any aspect of the testing process
- Review staff notebooks; collect, analyze and interpret lab results; take steps necessary to correct inaccurate data
- Train analysts on instrumentation and processes
- Develop, maintain and report out on laboratory metrics
- Source, select and train new lab employees
- Responsible for leading all aspects of analytical method development, qualification, and validation for the analysis of raw materials, compounds and final products.
- Ensure process compliance by following standard operating procedures (SOPs) and current good manufacturing practices (cGMP).
- Adhere to current ISO, USP, AOC, and FDA guidance and standards for method validation.
- Establish stability testing protocol and perform testing for compounds and finished goods, including in-package compatibility testing.
- Responsible for execution and on-time delivery of accurate analytical results for internal customers
- Establish and foster interaction with vendors and cross functional teams with regard to matters associated with documentation and approval of formulas.
- Work with outside labs and vendors to submit and send samples for testing.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years laboratory experience in the essential oil, cosmetic, personal care or related industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or relevant science. Advanced degree preferred
- Expertise in developing lab metrics, assisting and driving lab investigations and reviewing methods
- Experience in executing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in talent training and development
- Proven ability to work as part of a collaborative team, solving problems while improving the organization and its capabilities
- Proficient at sharing information in a clear, focused and concise manner
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- 5-7 years of HPLC/UHPLC and GC experience in a GMP environment
- Experience working in a GMP environment with technical understanding of a Quality Control laboratory a plus
- Experience in technical document writing such as SOPs, STMs, equipment qualifications, etc. a plus
- Experience with USP, ISO, and AOAC methods
- Experience in method development and validation
- Experience operating, maintaining, and calibrating lab equipment and training analysts on instrumentation and processes
- Experience in HPLC and GC method development and validation
- Experience in microbiological testing