Rapidly growing, fiscally sound and privately-owned essential oil manufacturer is seeking to add an experienced Senior Buyer to their growing team.
The Senior Buyer will aid the Purchasing Manager in the development and long-term management of key supplier relationships to optimize value through cost reduction, innovation, avoidance of supply disruption, risk mitigation and growth throughout supplier relationship life cycle. In-depth knowledge of raw material processing, such as plant cultivation, harvest seasons, and processing, along with finished good production processes is integral for sourcing, negotiating pricing, and establishing supply agreements. A strong working knowledge of GMP regulatory requirements and technical manufacturing requirements is desired. This role also includes collaborating and assisting with the supply chain and warehouse teams in ensuring continuous supply flow. This role includes assisting with R&D and product development team in new product development and setting up supply base to meet commercialization of new products.
- Develop and manage assigned key supplier relationships to deliver reliable product supply and total cost effectiveness while meeting or exceeding all customer service, compliance, product requirements, and key performance metrics. This includes material and process selection for purchases, locating and selecting suppliers, negotiating supply agreements and measuring supplier performance metrics
- Facilitate new vendor setup and vendor adherence to company compliance programs and initiatives, including organic certifications, SDS certifications, GC/MS testing, Fame testing, CofA’s and other regulatory related documents.
- Establish close working relationships with other functions, (e. g. Sales, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Inventory, Product Development, Technical Manufacturing, and Marketplace) to ensure full understanding and support of strategic sourcing perspective to key processes and address technical needs and regulatory requirements.
- Aid the Purchasing Manager in administering long term blanket orders or contracts for key suppliers
- Track and manage performance of suppliers and ensure that performance issues are quickly addressed
- Confer with vendors to obtain product or service information, i.e., price, availability and delivery
- Review bid proposals and negotiate prices within budgetary limits and scope of authority
- Determine best vendor for each item purchased based upon quality, availability, service, pricing and company policy
- Maintain maximum inventory levels by using the ERP system
- Maintain weekly metric report
- Expedite items on reorder lists to move in delivery dates as necessary
Key Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience with GMP regulations and cosmetic/natural ingredients/essential oils supply chain is preferred.
- Specialist knowledge of procurement concepts, global supply chain processes, activities, and trends
- Work with custom brokers, U.S. Customs and FDA to clear imports
- Experience with working with botanical farmers and collectors
- Excellent negotiation skills with both large and small suppliers globally
- Advanced analytical interpretation and problem-solving skills
- Unimpeachable ethics
- Ability to lead people and get results through others
- The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Excellent mastery of Excel, Google Drive or other applications
- MRP/ERP experience preferred
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Solid decision-making skills
- Ability to provide technical leadership, coupled with people and project management skills
- Business, communication, change management, and customer service skills
- NetSuite or like systems a real plus
- ISM membership/certification or APICS membership/certification preferred but not required
- Bachelor's degree in Purchasing, Supply Chain Management or other applicable business degree, or equivalent experience in the Health and Wellness industry
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the cosmetic, personal care, or health and wellness industry
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of experience in Purchasing or related field, and relevant experience in a logistics/supply chain role