Position: Shift Manager – 2nd
Reports to: Production Manager
Ensure efficient production and compliance with all company quality, safety, and good manufacturing practices and policies and procedures. Engages with production department managers daily to understand production priorities and provide guidance/support to the supervisor crew in areas such as safety, quality, productivity, cost, equipment and continuous improvement. Assures sufficient resources are available to meet processing requirements and coordinates to meet the required production schedule. Provides leadership to hourly team members, which will include auditing team members on established safety, quality, GMP’s, sanitation, etc.
- Interpret safety policies/practices to employees including enforcing safe work practices.
- Utilize available data (line speed target, set-up guidelines, efficiencies and process data) to continuously improve productivity, uptime and reliability.
- Manage product quality by understanding and communicating customer needs to employees and ensuring expectations are consistently met and according to standard work.
- Communicate with Supervisors and Operators to ensure appropriate knowledge transfer from shift to shift.
- Diagnose equipment, ingredients and packaging issues. Coordinate with Engineering, Maintenance or others as appropriate to solve production-related problems.
- Maintain area in accordance with BRC & AIB standards and enforce product safety and sanitation regulations and master sanitation books in conjunction with the Sanitation department.
- In conjunction with HR and management, provide coaching and counseling, conflict resolution, corrective action and training programs.
- Ensure security of employees, facilities and information systems by following and enforcing established security procedures.
- Ensure areas comply with 5S requirements.
- This position also fills in for supervisors on vacation/absences to manage the department when the need arises.
- Functional/technical skills and knowledge to do the job at a high level of accomplishment. Protects organizational values by keeping information confidential
- Clearly understands responsibilities for tasks and decisions; sets clear measurable objectives. Monitors progress tied to results, while providing full and complete feedback.
- Is widely trusted and respected; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present information in a formal, appropriate and helpful manner.
- Strong analytical and reasoning ability with attention to detail. Highly motivated, energetic, hands-on individual with potential for growth.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and delegation skills required.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop others required.
- Ability to deal with problems involving variables in standardized situations.
- Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel. Experience with SAP and Kronos preferred.
Basic Skill Set:
Professional verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and delegation skills required. Ability to coach, mentor and develop others required. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving variables in standardized situations.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 to 5 years of manufacturing experience, with a minimum three years of experience in a supervisory capacity OR equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience in Continuous Improvement / Lean environment strongly preferred.