The Senior Demand Planner is accountable for all forecasting activities associated with finished goods products, customers, plants and distribution locations. The Senior Demand Planner creates and maintains forecast models for the product categories they own at a sku level, incorporating business intelligence and forecast information gathered from Sales, Business Development, Finance, and other sources (i.e.: Nielsen or other syndicated consumer data). The Senior Demand Planner leads the monthly consensus meetings with Sales and Business Development and is a key team member in S&OP meetings. This individual would be considered an expert in Demand Planning and be responsible for coaching and training Associate level employees.
Create statistical forecasts:
- Gather, analyze and validate data
- Execute statistical modeling software
- Review resulting statistical forecast model
- Apply error analysis techniques to improve forecasting
Review sales plans, business development updates and demand drivers:
- Present, solicit, and assess feedback on the various forecasts from sales and business development
- Recommend adjustments for operational forecasts
- Review promotional plans with sales
- Identify and report on ‘root cause’ for forecast error and below targets and assist in establishing annual forecast accuracy targets
- Track sales inputs to new and lost business and sales promotions
- Align the forecast to changing demand
Achieve consensus for operational demand forecasts by facilitating a collaborative planning process with sales and business development personnel:
- Prepare relevant material to facilitate research and discussion
- Coordinate cross-functional research activities to reconcile significant variances and refine the forecast model to reflect updated sales and business development assumptions
- Drive SKU Rationalization
- Responsible for understanding shipment trends and category dynamics to support and endorse total volume forecast
- Communicate fully with supervisors and “key” stakeholders
Provide input to volume planning (annual process):
- Facilitate and manage demand planning/sales and business development meetings
- Achieve consensus with the business side and the demand chain
- Lead internal cross functional communication integrating information into the forecast via the demand consensus and S&OP process
Maintain demand planning system and software:
- Attain forecast accuracy targets by sku/by location at a weekly level
- Monitor trends in forecast errors and take action to improve
- Identify relevant market-related data and competitive intelligence
- Utilize Logility, SAP, BI to ensure exceptional level of data integrity
- Provide timely updates and analysis to Supply Chain partners to identify scenario planning opportunities
Training and Development
- Train and mentor less senior planners within the team
- Bachelor degree, preferably in Business or equivalent field, plus 5+ years of related experience in forecasting or planning; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of SAP, Business Intelligence (BI), and Logility required.
- Understanding of strategic sales analysis and planning.
- Strong mathematical aptitude and excellent problem-solving and analytical skills are required.
- Strong Excel skills are critical and must be proficient in other Microsoft applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and plan, prioritize, and set goals.
- Aptitude to collaborate with cross functional teams to promote productivity and enhance overall supply chain function.
- Capable of working independently.
- Excellent customer service skills are necessary.
- Occasional extended hours and travel required.