The Brand Manager is appointed to his/her position by the Vice-President, Marketing and is solely responsible to him/her. The Brand Manager is under the general direction of the Vice-President, Marketing. The Brand Manager plans, organizes, directs and provides the leadership to achieve the Company’s fiscal year volume/profit objectives; develops and executes plans that will ensure the viability of assigned brand(s); and contributes to the improvement of the Department and the Company as a whole in accordance with Company policy, as directed by the Vice-President, Marketing. The Brand Manager is a Salaried, Exempt position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Initiates, recommends and secures management/interdepartmental agreements to marketing strategies, plans and budgets, including (but not limited to):
- New Products (including ideation, concept development & testing, formula/package development, graphic design, selling story development, etc.)
- Cost Savings
- Package Changes
- Ad Strategy/Copy Development
- Media Planning & Stewardship
- Product Changes
2. Ensures timely and high-quality execution of plans in all areas outlined above and makes appropriate plan changes as dictated by ongoing business conditions.
3. Proposes, tests and evaluates new strategic and tactical approaches to all areas of the marketing/product development mix.
4. Maintains processes to continuously develop new product ideas and leads research and system evaluation of new ideas to determine their consumer, trade, financial and operations viability.
5. Maintains and manages specific activities of advertising/media agencies and oversees public relations brand campaigns.
6. Leads annual brand planning and budgeting efforts.
7. Positively motivates and clearly communicates to all departments and appropriate agencies to ensure agreement and timely/high quality execution of new initiatives.
8. Provides ongoing data-driven analysis and definition of key opportunities for maximizing volume and profit potential for assigned brands and ensures consistent pursuit of these objectives.
9. Assists Sales in developing brands’ general merchandising strategies, financial guidelines, etc. on a data-driven basis.
10. Exercises administrative control over the personnel assigned to him/her (i.e. interviewing, training, departmental orientation, salary reviews, performance appraisals, etc.) in conjunction with the Vice-President, Marketing.
11. Through individual guidance, mentors and coaches brand personnel to succeed and grow in their positions, develop their skills and future potential, maintain a high level of knowledge in the marketing industry and understand/adhere to established Company policies, procedures, philosophies and business practices..
12. Orients new employees from other disciplines on Marketing, product line and promotional issues related to assigned brands.
13. Identifies, recommends and contributes to systems and process changes that will improve productivity, capability, cooperation and/or morale of own department and other disciplines.
14. Takes affirmative action in all conditions of employment to ensure that equal opportunity efforts and results are consistent with Company policies and procedures.
15. Strengthens the Marketing Department by contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, high professional standards, team spirit and pride in the Company.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A Masters Degree in Marketing or Business Administration or equivalent in training and experience is required.
2. The knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired in 2 to 3 years of real-world experience and/or advanced academic Marketing environments.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Proven strengths in the following areas:
- Analytical, Strategic and Tactical Thinking
- Managing, Developing and Working with Others
- Motivation and Drive
2. Past participation in development/execution of advertising and promotional campaigns, brand planning processes and sales communications efforts.
3. Ability to analyze and draw insightful conclusions from qualitative and quantitative consumer and syndicated retail research.
4. Proven track record of successful project leadership.
5. Considerable management skills are required to successfully perform the planning, directing, reporting and administrative responsibilities of this position.
6. Considerable interpersonal skills are required to interact with all levels of internal and external customers … the need to lead, persuade and sell to Management, agency, cross-discipline and subordinate personnel requires a high degree of interpersonal human relations skills.
7. Computer literate in a Windows environment (i.e., Word, Excel, etc.)
8. Ability with basic functions of Cognos, Adage, and Nitro that allows for quality performance of relevant tasks outlined as essential job functions above.
9. Ability to use office machines and e-mail quickly and effectively.
10. Must be discreet with confidential information to which he/she has access.
11. Willingness to accept other duties, as assigned.
12. Must possess the ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with internal and external customers, function as a team player, accept constructive criticism from management and comply with Company policies.
The following position reports directly to the Brand Manager:
- Sr. Category Associate or Promotion Associate or Sr. Category Associate & Administrative Supervisor
1. Travel (approximately 10% to 15% of the time) and a significant commitment of time are required, as dependent on departmental demands, inclusive of weekend hours.